Thursday, October 21, 2010

This is Hermana Smith's entry Oct. 13, 2010 :

This week has been really good, but i can´t believe it´s already the end of the transfer. We´ll know about transfers this Saturday night. I hope I don´t leave! I love this area and my companion and I are having a lot of fun together.

A lot of cool things have happened in the past couple of days. A lot of our appointments have fallen through, but we´ve ended up finding some really great future investigators. Yesterday we found ourselves teaching a peruano named Carlos on a park bench. He´s a super humble guy that has been studying for the past year and a half with Jehovah´s Witnesses. I asked him what he has to do to become a member of their church and he had absolutely no idea. Maybe that means he´s not that serious about joining with them? I think he has mostly been studying the Bible with them to deepen his knowledge. He mentioned that there are a lot of churches out there and it´s hard to know who to believe. We taught him about Joseph Smith and the restoration, gave him a Book of Mormon, and he asked us to give him 2 weeks to study up a bit. I´m and praying so hard that he feels the Spirit when he reads the Book of Mormon and that he and his wife will want us to come teach them! It will be awesome!

We finally talked to Alexandra and Jofre about getting married. We taught about marriage last night from Corinthians 7. It was a bit of a surprise actually. We weren´t really feeling like it was the moment to teach it again, so we started talking about the baptismal covenants we make from Mosiah 5. After reading verse 5 about how we promise to keep all of the commandments of God the Spirit said, "Okay, now for the transition." I was burning inside and so I went for it. Jofre seemed a little flustered once he read the chapter heading of Corinthians 7 and knew what was coming. We just laid everything out for him plain as can be and I didn´t let him justify anything (because he is a little too good at justifying not living the law of chastity). It actually went really really well, but he basically told us that he´s not ready to make the commitment yet. Phew. Patience. Patience is key. And lots and lots of prayers. One hopeful thing though is that he is definitely thinking about it and said that we will definitely be invited to the wedding. I can hardly wait for that day!

We were unsuccessful on getting Vanesa to church again. Victor´s family showed up at her house on Sunday and said they were there to celebrate her birthday. Lame! Okay, nice...ish, but she was really going to come. She even personally asked us to help her get to church. There´s still hope for this week though. And the good thing is that Victor is learning more and more. It will be nice when they are finally on the same page (where she is now, of course) and that they decide to get baptized together. Now that would be great.

We went to a ward party on Saturday night called Día de la Hispanidad. The different organizations from the ward each chose a country to represent. Of course we were asked to represent the USA. Each group had to bring a typical food from their country, set up a table, explain a bit about the country and perform a typical dance from that country. Other countries included Bolivia, Peru, Columbia, Spain and Ecuador. The dances were really cool to watch but I can tell you I was not excited to dance. We had the hardest time coming up with a dance and finally settled to do a country line dance to Cotton-eyed Joe (or whatever that song is called. It reminds me of Dillon. I think it´s kinda like his personal theme song haha.). Everyone loved it. So, so funny.

Well, those are the highlights. Hope all is well at home. Love you all!

Hna. Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment