June 1, 2011
Hello Family,
Hello Family,
Cozumel sounds amazing!!! I heard once in Church a quote by Elenor Roosevelt (?) "Do something every day that scares you," and it stuck with me. Dad learning Scuba Diving made me think of that. Also Mom riding around on the Moto. Good for you. But when do the kids hit the age when they are supposed to tell their parents to stop doing dangerous things? Maybe I´ll learn to scuba dive one day...ahhh!
Katie sent me an email from the home base and so did Mikayla. They both sound great. Thanks to both of them!
Shalese sounds great. It was awesome to see her. I was a little bummed at the thought of her not being around when I get home but now I´ve seen her and I know she is still alive and hasn´t changed...only grown a lot.
Hermana Benítez and I are doing great. On Monday we had the most powerful lesson that I have seen in my mission. Pedro (32) is from Guinea Equatorial but also lived in Nigeria during fifteen years...so he speaks both English and Spanish. He has been attending so many churches and receiving visits from representatives from all sorts of Christian religions. He reminds me of Joseph Smith! So there we were in the house of Lourdes sharing a lesson about the Book of Mormon.
Side note/other miracle: When Pedro was in Nigeria visiting his uncle he saw the Book of Mormon in his house and asked him what it was. Someone a had given it to his uncle. Pedro was going to church one day (I think the Methodist church) and didn´t want to go without a book in hand so he grabbed the Book of Mormon. Now years later we found him and he has questions about it. He called his uncle about a week ago and asked him about the book. His uncle (I´m not sure if he is a member or not) said that it is a good book with the word of God and that Pedro should read it. So cool that a Book of Mormon in a home in Nigeria has had such an impact here and now with Pedro.
So there we were with Lourdes (Mexico, Strong recent convert), Hna Benítez (España), Me (USA), Pedro (golden investigator from Guinea Equatorial), and Immanuel (Nigeria, another super strong recent convert). Very international. Very Spanglish.
After explaining some things about the Book of Mormon and answering questions we asked Lourdes and Immanuel to share how they learned that the Book of Mormon is true. She told about how we had told her to pray about it and when she did, all the doubts that she had been harboring went away and she was sure from that moment. Immanuel related a lot to Pedro explaining that when he saw the Book of Mormon he said "What? What is this? Who is Mormon? Is it a bible or what?" He said he had a lot of doubts but he also followed the direction to pray and he prayed for two or three days. He said you have to be humble, you have to concentrate hard, you have to be hungry to know, you have to want it so bad...and then you know. He said, as he held up the Book of Mormon, that this was what he didn´t know was missing from his life.
Wow. Lourdes, Hna. Benítez, and I just looked at Immanuel with our mouths hanging open. He surprised us all. The Spirit was so strong and I learned in that moment what it means to teach with power. Pedro said wow, I hope I can get an answer like that, little by little I´ll keep praying and learning..or something to that effect. His response was positive but seemed a little lacking in faith and Immanuel (who has become a good friend to Pedro) didn´t let it slide. He stepped in and answered right away. "No, you´ve just got to pray. You have to want it more than anything else. You have to free your spirit and let the Lord guide your path." He shared how he had also fasted. He said..."this is my testimony" in a powerful way but also in a way that said don´t take my advice to be hard, it´s just what I know.
It has been a long week and full of contacting and lacking in lessons which is always difficult. We have made a commitment to the Lord to do at least 15 contacts a day and we are trying to improve in a lot of ways. That lesson showed me how much the Lord is blessing us. The spirit was so strong. The next time we see Immanuel, hopefully tonight, we are going to speak to him about serving a mission (he is 24 so he still has time).
Hope that all made sense. Hope you know I love you and I am loving the Lord´s work.
Love Hna Moulton (1)
No comments:
Post a Comment