Monday, June 21, 2010

This post is written by: Hermana Smith
(Shayla's Companion)
It's fun to read another perspective and discription of Shayla's mission experience. (Don't worry, I have permission)

June 2, 2010
Another great week here en España except that the heat is really turning up. It is so hot already, and a little old Spanish lady told us that this summer should be hotter than normal. Yikes. I am not sure how excited I am about that, but at least it isn´t humid here.

Well, Sandra still has her baptismal date. She is so excited to get baptized which makes it so easy for us to teach her. She came to church wanting to meet all of the members, the bishopric, everyone. We meet with her almost every day. She still takes notes on everything we teach her. She is giving us references of people she wants the missionaries to visit. She is just incredible. A GOLDEN investigator who will soon be a golden member firm in the faith and ready to share with the rest of the world.
We finally met Sandra´s husband on Saturday. He had a rare day-off from work so we were able to teach the two of them together. He is so great. He´s from Mexico (Sandra is from Colombia), and they are a perfect fit for each other. I just wish we could teach him too but he works every day from 7:00am to 11:00pm...not exactly within our proselyting time-frame.

We met a couple of great families this week that we think have a lot of potential. One family consists of 2 sisters and a brother from Bolivia living together. They have had some past experience with the church which has helped them be more willing and open to listening to us.
The second family consists of a young couple from Ecuador and their little girl. They are darling! They let us go home with them to share a few scriptures with them when we first contacted them in the street. We are hoping to have some good things happen with this family.

We visited a less-active and part-member family this week. The family consists of Martín and Maria who are parents of Susana and Marta. Susana has three children and they live there with her marido. Marta is their daughter who is about 20 years old and is currently suffering from leukemia. Unfortunately Marta is really sick right now and probably won´t recover. The family is struggling to find to peace with the current situation and it breaks my heart to see them suffer. However, it is situations like these make me so much more appreciative of the knowledge we have about the Plan of Salvation. It is such a comfort to know that this life isn´t the end and that their is so much to look forward to after this life.

I have been thinking a lot about Romans 8 where it talks about how what we experience in this life is nothing compared to the glory we will receive in the next. Thinking about this always gives me a little extra boost when things seem to be a bit harder than I can handle. I remember that I just need to tough things out and turn the Lord and everything will turn out just fine. They always do.

We had Zone Conference this past week. I learned a lot of great things that I am excited to apply to the work we are doing in our area.
I really love our area. I love the people that are here. It is a great blessing to be here teaching and learning and helping. Missionary work is wonderful.

Anyway, tengan una buena semana!
con amor,
Hermanita Smith
Oh yeah, our investigator Juliana is getting baptized in Barrio 3 this Saturday! YAY!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment